Arriving in Sweden – Guidance when seeking temporary protection

Upon arrival to Sweden, ensure you have accommodation and use the help of the Swedish Migration Agency. They provide necessary support and transport to the place of accom­modation. They have gathered infor­ma­tion for people arriving to Sweden from Ukraine:

Infor­ma­tion regar­ding the situ­a­tion in Ukraine (The Swedish Migration Agency)

Frequently asked questions about the situation in Ukraine (The Swedish Migration Agency)

Information for refugees from Ukraina (

Access to free use of cumputers and WIFI at the libraries in Karlshamn municipality

About the Swedish school for new arrivals.

Hitta på sidan

Apply for a residence permit

The EU has decided to activate the Temporary Protection Directive. The directive applies to you who are a Ukrainian citizen and were a resident of Ukraine before February 24, 2022 you who have a residence permit as a refugee or have subsidiary protec­tion status in Ukraine family members of the above two.

To be covered by the directive, you must have left the country on 24 February 2022 or later. This means that if you come from Ukraine, you can get a tempo­rary residence permit in Sweden.

To apply, you must register and present a biometric national passport or other Ukrainian identity documents. You will also need to provide your fingerprints and be photographed as part of the registration process. You will receive a decision about your application for a residence permit within a few days. You will then receive a residence permit card.

Find out more about residence permits on the Swedish Migrations Agency’s website:

Infor­ma­tion regar­ding the situ­a­tion in Ukraine (The Swedish Migration Agency)

Apply for a placement in preschool and school

In order for a child to be entitled to preschool or school, the family must have received a residence permit in accordance with the EU’s Temporary Protection Directive from the Swedish Migration Agency. The right to preschool then applies on the same terms as for Swedish citizens. In the case of upper secondary school, the youth has to enroll in school before the age of 18.

Fill out the application form and print it:

Application for school and preschool

You need to fill out one application form for each child. If you need help with the application, please visit the Service Center at City Hall in Karlshamn. Our visiting address is Rådhusgatan 10, 374 81 Karlshamn.

Attach a copy of the residence permit card from the Swedish Migration Agency to the application. Then send the application to:
Karlshamns kommun
374 81 Karlshamn

Karlshamn Municipality will contact you for an enrollment interview when we receive your application.

Parental support for those who are new to Sweden

Parents who have moved to Sweden are welcome to join our digital group meetings on Thursdays. During the meetings we talk about children, parenthood and Sweden.

Find out more about the group meetings:

Parenting group – online – english (pdf)

How to seek medical care

If you get ill, the website offers information about what you can do in order to feel better and recover more quickly. You can also find necessary contact details to the healthcare services. When you call +46 771 1177 00 you will receive advice from a nurse about what you can do and where you should turn if you need medical care. The number works 24/7 all over the country.

You can visit a healthcare centre to receive help if you have injured yourself or if you are not feeling well. The staff at the healthcare centre has experience and knowledge when it comes to most injuries and illnesses. If necessary, you will be referred to a hospital. When the healthcare centre is closed you can seek medical care by calling +46 771 1177 00.

At the emergency room you will receive help if you become seriously ill or injured in an accident. Patients with the most urgent need of medical care will always be tended to first. The emergency number 112 is available if you or someone nearby is in need of immediate emergency care.

Medical care in Blekinge county is free of charge if you are a refugee from Ukraine. In other parts of Sweden, this may be different.

How to seek medical care (

Collective information about in english (

COVID-19 vaccination

In Sweden, everyone aged 12 or older can get vaccinated against COVID-19. You do not need to be a Swedish citizen to get the vaccine. Vaccination is voluntary and free of charge and is the best way to reduce the risk of serious illness and the spread of COVID-19.

If you do not get vaccinated, you must continue to keep distance and avoid crowding and large gatherings indoors. It is important to stay at home when you feel unwell, even if you are fully vaccinated.

For information about where you can get vaccinated against COVID-19, please visit

Collective information about COVID-19 (

Bringing pets to Sweden

If you are a pet owner, you must report your animal to customs staff when you arrive at the border. If your animal do not meet the import requirements, customs staff will contact the Swedish Board of Agriculture. They will ask for documentation and may ask questions about the animal’s health status in order to make required assessments.

If an animal from Ukraine is in Sweden without having been checked by cust­oms staff upon arrival, it must be taken to a veterinarian as soon as possible. Depending on the situation, different measures may be relevant. The Swedish Board of Agriculture is responsible for costs related to the veterinary visit.

Find out what rules to follow when bringing pets to Sweden on the Swedish Board of Agriculture’s website:

Movement of dogs, cats or ferrets to Sweden (Swedish Board of Agriculture)

Important phone numbers


Call 112 in case of emergencies, such as urgent medical conditions, active crimes or fires. All operators speak Swedish or English. If an interpreter is necessary, a third person will be connected to the call.

114 14

Call 114 14 for all non-urgent police matters, such as providing information or reporting crimes that are not ongoing. Those who answer on 114 14 speak Swedish or English. If you are calling from a foreign mobile in Sweden, call +46 77 114 14 00.


Call 1177 for non-urgent healthcare issues. Operators answer your questions about illness and provide information about where you can find the nearest clinic. If you are calling from a foreign mobile in Sweden, call +46 771 1177 00.